Tuesday, March 25, 2008

driving myself crazy....

ok, i am not one that has this compulsive instinct about matchy/ matchy...in fact, i am far from that. but i am driving myself crazy trying to figure out if i feel like the lighting, hardware, and plumbing fixtures have to match....like do you think that if you have oil-rubbed bronze lighting and hardware, then should your plumbing (faucets, shower heads, etc.) be the same or are you at peace w/ making them something completely different like satin nickel?? i don't feel like in a house you have to be alllll one way or the other but in a space/ room i'm torn....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you crack me up! i use all polished nickel (it's like platinum to me) plumbing fixture )95% of the time) because it tarnishes - which makes it even more gorgeous. i have no fear mixing it with antique brass or ORB.
For example: MBR for client I am working on has:
- ORB door hardware (crystal knobs)
- polished nickel plumbing and cabinet hardware
- antique brass lights
Ohhhh lah lah.
gives less of that "showroom" feel and more like the space evolved over time. In my opinion anyway!
toodles!
e

Anonymous said...

I think that mixing is okay. The lights could be different from the plumbing(although I like the plumbing fixtures to match each other), which could be different from the main hardware (doors, etc.) of the rest of the house. This works especially if the fixture in question is an accent piece, like a chandelier in a bathroom, or a special piece of furniture such as a chest of drawers is used.

Amanda said...

Just say no to matchy-matchy. I think it is much more interesting to mix it up. Not everything a different finish, but you know what I mean. Besides, you rarely see all of those fixtures together in one shot.

katiedid said...

Ditto what erika said! Love the polished nickelfor plumbing, and I have ORB door hardware. Mix it up....for sure.

Cemaya said...

Ick on matchy-matchy. Now if I can just convince my other 1/2 to agree with me!